Unhinged: The Trouble with Psychiatry — A Doctor's Revelations about a Profession in Crisis, was published May 18, 2010.
Read more at the Simon and Schuster website here
Dr. Carlat has been discussing his book and modern psychiatry on a number of radio and television programs. See the list below for links to listen to his interviews.
- Thursday, May 12, interview for "Extension 720 with Milt Rosenberg" on WGN-AM, Chicago. Listen to the interview here
- Friday, May 14, interview with Kelly Tuthill on WCVB Channel 5 News in Boston. See the interview here
- Monday, May 17, interview with Jeff Farias. Listen to the interview here
- Tuesday, May 18, Interview for the "Kojo Nnamdi Show" on WAMU-FM, Washington DC NPR affiliate. Listen to the interview here
- Sunday, May 23, interview for "Nightcall" with Peter Werbe on WRIF-FM in Detroit. Listen to the interview here
- Thursday, May 20, Reuters Health live web chat. Read the blog here, or read the accompanying article here
- Sunday, May 23, interview with Marc Stern for "Radio with a View" on WMBR-FM, Cambridge, Mass. Listen to the interview here. (scroll down the page for "Radio With a View" and select May 23.)
- Wednesday, June 2, interview for "The Callie Crossley Show" on WGBH 89.7 FM (Boston NPR affiliate). Listen to the interview here
- Thursday, June 3, interview for "The Exchange" on New Hampshire Public Radio. Listen to the interview here
- Monday, June 7, interview for "The Exchange" on Iowa Public Radio. Listen to the interview here
- Tuesday, June 8, interview for "All in the Mind" on BBC Radio. Listen to the interview here
- Wednesday, June 9, interview for "Larry Mantle AirTalk" on KPCC Southern California Public Radio. Listen to the interview here
The Huffington Post, one the nation's leading online news sites, ran a review of Dr. Carlat's book on May 27. Read Kaitlin Bell's blog here
The WGBH news program "Greater Boston" featured Unhinged on its Tuesday, June 29 show. You can watch the show on the Unhinged blog or here
"Fresh Air," the Peabody Award-winning NPR current events show, showcased an interview with Dr. Carlat on its Tuesday, July 13, show. Fresh Air is heard by 4.5 million people on 450 radio stations each week. Listen to the interview here
A July 2011 feature in The New York Review of Books examined Unhinged and a number of other books on the state of modern psychiatry. Read the details on our blog.
On July 27, 2011, Dr. Carlat joined Dr. Mark Olfson, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University, Co-Director of the AHRQ Center for Education and Research on Mental Health Therapeutics and the Scientific Director of Columbia University TeenScreen, for a discussion on the effectiveness of antidepressants and psychiatry on Minnesota Public Radio. You can hear the interview here
Chetan Haldipur, MD, recently wrote a review of Unhinged for Psychiatric Times. In his review he writes, “Unhinged is, strictly speaking, neither a memoir nor a polemic. Rather, it is something in between—more like investigative journalism.”
To read the complete review, visit http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/1897721